[josm-dev] translating in Launchpad

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Wed Mar 9 11:41:56 GMT 2011

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Jo wrote:

> Thank you for your replies. I've been reading up on gettext and I understand a bit better now. I've also been browsing the source code and I see where those comments come from now. Sometimes they don't
> really help translators and they are a bit confusing, I'm afraid, so maybe for those comments it would be better not to have them one line ahead of the translatable string.

Well. A known problem. But better some useless text than no comments at
all :-)

> I don't know how to create a patch. Would it be OK if I add the complete
> source text for the module that I would like to 'improve' to trac?
> Module is probably not java terminology, I'm more of a Python
> programmer.

For a SVN checkout simply do a "svn diff". Otherwise do a "diff -u oldfile
newfile", where diff is form the diffutils. I'm sure for Windows there are
also graphical diff tools available.

Complete sources usually aren't a good solution, as you don't see what has
been done and the developers will ignore them for a long time before
someone cares to have a look at.