[josm-dev] support for Openstreetview in JOSM

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:43:13 GMT 2011

Hi,

Would it be very hard to add support to interact directly with
Openstreetview in JOSM?

Workflow:
I use the plugin 'EXIF photo geotagging' to geotag my pictures according to
my GPX track

Wishlist:

   - Ability to upload these geotagged pictures directly to the FTP server
   of Openstreetview

The first time a username/password should be asked for and it needs to be
stored in JOSM's settings

   - Ability to download all available photos for a given area (maybe as an
   extra tick in the download window? Just like for GPX tracks of other
   contributors)

I digged up this Perl snippet:

http://linux.voyager.hr/osm/openstreetview_dl.txt

I can't claim I understand it, but I believe it could give a clue on how to
achieve such a download.

Should I ask for this functionality as a trac ticket? Is it one request, or
two separate ones?

Would this be very hard to implement?
For the download it's adding a pictures layer and performing some http
requests

For the upload, each selected picture could be sent individually, or all
the previously geotagged pictures on the pictures layer in one go.

Would it help if I did all the legwork and wrote an example in
Python/Jython?

Thanks for looking into this,

Jo