[josm-dev] Please do not change long established shortcuts

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Mon Apr 30 17:40:59 BST 2012

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Maarten Deen wrote:

> My apologies for ranting, but please do not change shortcuts that were in use
> for I-know-not-how long. I just downloaded rev 5181 and found that the "d"
> key did not work. Someone decided that it should be the delete key.

It is the delete key for probably about 3 years now. As the <D> key
produced unwanted results it has been dropped and only <DEL> remains.

Please read the related tickets and also lots of discussions here in
josm-dev why we changed keys and why there was no alternative to this.

> I can understand the reasoning. But do not decide for the whole community
> that it is better to have everyone change the way they work just because you
> think it is better. If you think deleting an item should be the delete key
> and it was programmed as "d", then your welcome to change it in your
> favourits.

Actually it seems you cannot understand the reasoning. We did not simply
change a key as we thought that would be nice (we did so for others where
we had conflicts).

For this function we had
* two keys for the same function
* one of these two causing troubles

> IMHO it is also a bad change because now I have to get my hand off the mouse
> to use the delete key where the d key is nicely positioned on the left side
> of the keyboard to use with my left hand.

Well, deleting is a dangerous function and it is actually wanted that it
is not too easy.

> In principle, it is not a good idea to change long established customs.

Sorry, but I always hear that when we make changes but usually more users
are happy about cleanups and only some old-timers have problems. I do not
agree that we must keep old habits only to support some people to lazy to
change.

We never changed anything without good reasons and we also did not do now.