[josm-dev] Please do not change long established shortcuts

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Mon Apr 30 17:57:14 BST 2012

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Pieren wrote:

> Our opinion and long established customs does not count very much on
> josm dev. Btw, you should update your JOSM more frequently. Then you
> don't have time to acquire habits.

If you don't want any changes, simply don't update or use the
unmaintained merkaartor.

Few years ago the common opinion about JOSM in mailinglists and forums
was "hard-to-use". Today it is "to be recommended even to beginners". So
our approach actually seems to be appreciated. And we can't keep
everything as it was when we make improvements. There must be changes and
a few of them will break old habits.

What I can't understand is that even developers like you or Maarten have a
lot less flexibility than my father who is about 70. He simply accepts the
changes and goes on with the new keys (for him the <b> and <w> change was
the only really relevant one).