[josm-dev] Creating a user-friendly changelog for tested release

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:58:00 GMT 2012

On 02/07/2012 02:23 PM, Simon Legner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 30/01/12 15:07, Josh Doe wrote:
>> I would suggest that we create a single set of changes between each
>> tested release, separating the changes by major/minor enhancements,
>> and major bugs (leaving minor bugs to be found via tickets). I believe
>> this would be more helpful for users rather than seeing a long list of
>> major changes (but missing some minor ones), without any visual
>> demarcation telling them what has changed from the version they're
>> using to the last tested.
>
> I like this idea as it provides more insight to JOSM development for
> casual users.  Furthermore, I always like to read a list of new features
> of any product.
>
> For this reason, I've created a wiki page:
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Changelog  For the most recent stable
> release, I went through the commit messages and put together a list of
> (in my opinion) interesting changes.  Note that the classification is
> subjective, and feel free to add/remove/move any item.

For the startup notes, I try to mention only those changes, that could
be interesting for the normal user and provide at least a little
documentation.

Your new changelog seems to be more from the developer's point of view,
which is also interesting. It's a good idea to make a paragraph for each
tested version, I could imagine this for the the startup notes as well.

Do you think we can merge both lists, at least internally? We'd have one
wiki page ChangelogSource and each entry is marked either for changelog
or for startup note or for both. This would remove redundancy and make
live easier for the translators.

Paul