[josm-dev] Creating a user-friendly changelog for tested release

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Feb 12 13:33:24 GMT 2012

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, Simon Legner wrote:

>> Do you think we can merge both lists, at least internally? We'd have one
>> wiki page ChangelogSource and each entry is marked either for changelog
>> or for startup note or for both. This would remove redundancy and make
>> live easier for the translators.
>
> Removing duplication is a good idea.  However, in my opinion, this only
> makes sense if the changelog messages are translated to a decent number
> of languages.  Is it common to translate the changelog of a software to
> several languages?

I think the common parts between these two aren't large enough to try to
think about joining them.

> Concerning a ChangelogSource, I don't know whether this is possible from
> a technical point of view as I'm not familiar with the internals of
> Trac.  A negative aspect (in my opinion) of StartupPageSource is that

This is not trac, but JOSM Trac. ChangelogSource could be setup similar to
VersionHistory or StartupPage.

> the translation strings somehow clutters the text which makes it harder
> to just quickly find a news item or edit the wiki page.

This translation system was designed to translate the single-line startup
screen. Especially the fact that translated and untranslated strings are
mixed in final page was important for this. The drawback is that layout is
broken into multiple pieces.

Today we have a second system with the language specific pages and the
Diff-display showing differences to last translation. I basically
developed this to improve translation update process (which works, as
translations are updated a lot better than before) and now maintain the
relevant Trac plugin. But for the StartupPage I still think the
existing line-based system fits better.

For Changelog I don't see a big need for translations, so I would think
the page based translation system fits better for this one.

What I would like to do is to display the translation diff in the edit
screen of a translated page, but I was not yet able to do so.