[josm-dev] How external plugins are added to plugin list

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Feb 27 17:25:26 GMT 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Dirk Stöcker
<openstreetmap at dstoecker.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, Josh Doe wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to find how the plugin list [0] is generated,
>> specifically how "external plugins" are added to this list. Presumably
>> there is some script which generates that file, which I can't find.
>> I'd like to move my work-in-progress conflation plugin out of SVN and
>> onto Github, but don't understand how I would add it to the plugin
>> list. Currently I see four such external plugins.
>> -Josh
>>
>> [0]: http://josm.openstreetmap.de/plugin
>

> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Plugins
>
> You should be aware of the drawbacks:
> a) Plugin is marked as "bad external" in JOSM
> b) It is not translated
> c) Core changes aren't incorporated into it when they appear
> d) Shortcuts won't be listed in overview and thus also very likely be used
>   by others very fast.
> e) There is no automatic history handling for older JOSM versions.

Those are certainly drawbacks to consider. I've added a section on the
wiki regarding this:
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/DevelopersGuide/DevelopingPlugins#Publishingaplugin

What script generates the plugin list? And since there are previous
versions for two of the external plugins, I take it that you're
updating that by hand?

-Josh