[josm-dev] Installing JOSM w/Slow Connections

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Tue Oct 9 02:55:11 BST 2012

Hi All,

I guess this is a bug, but I was curious if there is a work around.
Basically we frequently install JOSM from USB in places with very,
very slow connections (imagine 10 people sharing a single 2G
connection, yes that happens).

The current situation
1. Install JOSM
2. Start JOSM for the first time
3. JOSM cannot download from the OSM API
4. Delete JOSM preferences
5. Restart JOSM and hope for better luck.

When you start JOSM for the first time I assume it is reaching out
somewhere on the Internet to get a preferences file. This somehow gets
corrupted in the situations we are working.

I suppose we could distribute preferences files on the USB sticks and
have people copy them. I wanted to see if there is a more elegant
solution. It seems to me this is a bug, since the error about not
connecting to the OSM API doesn't really indicate what the true issue
is.

Thanks,

-Kate