[josm-dev] JOSM Plugin no_more_mapping

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Oct 20 14:42:35 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 10/20/2012 03:51 PM, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> I've seen and checked it and considered it relatively harmless :-) Not
> useful, but also not dangerous.

It is certainly not dangerous. But it only took a day on talk-de for
someone to suggest that the next plugin is probably going to be "upload
your bank data to fraudsters".

On the one hand, this has the positive effect of heightening people's
awareness - you can't trust a JOSM plugin to do only good, you have to
read the description (and ideally the source).

On the other hand, we *want* people to update frequently, instead of
waiting until they have the time to actually read through the
description or even source code yet again. We want them to trust us that
we do the right thing.

There is a "market" for editors out there, and our editor, JOSM, is one
of the "products". We are in friendly competition with other editors and
we want to make our editor the best one, at least I think we do.
Offering a plugin that "bricks" JOSM, even if meant as a tongue-in-cheek
feature, makes it too easy for JOSM's detractors. I can already see the
snarky Twitter comments such jokes might lead to - and the resulting
image is "JOSM, the editor that stops working as soon as you hit one
wrong button."

Bye
Frederik