[josm-dev] Handling Openstreetmap account with shared computers

colliar colliar4ever at aol.com
Wed May 22 15:47:53 UTC 2013

On 21.05.2013 23:42, Toby Murray wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Andrew Buck <andrew.r.buck at gmail.com>wrote:
>> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr> wrote:

>>> Under a HOT Team project in Limonade, north of Haiti, sixty young
>> trainees
>>> share computers in a class room.
>>>
>>> In
>>>  such a context, I want to assure that one person cannot use OSM
>>> identity of an other contributor when starting JOSM.  What would be the
>>> possibility
>>> to assure this?  A parameter at the start of JOSM ?

>> The only way I can think of would be to just not use the 'remember
>> password' option and then have them type name/password on uploads.
>>

> You can pass this option to java at startup to have JOSM use a different
> folder as its home directory:
> -Djosm.home=/some/other/folder
>
> But this also means all the plugins and other configuration options will be
> different for each user so that may not be ideal either.

Josm can use local shared folders at least on linux (e.g.
/usr/share/josm does work) but there is a problem as users can not
update plugins ATM.

A global cache directory for the images would be useful aswell.

> You can apparently also run it off of a USB stick:
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/USB_Stick
>
> Haven't tried this myself.

This is a bit more tricky but a separate JOSM directory with linked
plugin and image cache directories should work.

Good luck
colliar