[josm-dev] An incredible and unexpected use of JOSM

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Sep 11 07:21:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 08:30:35AM +0300, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> After reading this, it became less amusing: http://press.nokia.com/2013/09/09/here-partners-with-automakers-and-automotive-suppliers-to-connect-cars-to-the-cloud/
>
> (You may remember that Nokia (whose phone division was recently sold
> to Microsoft) paid $8bn for the map company Navteq a few years ago.)

Probably Nokia and Mercedes just use the OSM Toolchain for easily
editing and visualizing the map data?

But i wouldnt be worried - There will be a day where OSM will be THE
ONLY important map provider. Its economically not possible for Nokia
and TomTom to get the same map detail level as we do. So they'll
highlight the "crowd" nature of OSM and try to spread FUD about
reliability and accuracy of OSM for the next 10 Years.

This has all happened before in the Linux universe and in the end
there is Linux on any embedded device and server and the Desktop,
Microsoft has been dominating for 30 Years will be irrelevant by
tomorrow.

Flo