[josm-dev] An incredible and unexpected use of JOSM

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 11 07:55:42 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-11 09:21, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> But i wouldnt be worried - There will be a day where OSM will be THE
> ONLY important map provider. Its economically not possible for Nokia
> and TomTom to get the same map detail level as we do. So they'll
> highlight the "crowd" nature of OSM and try to spread FUD about
> reliability and accuracy of OSM for the next 10 Years.
>
> This has all happened before in the Linux universe and in the end
> there is Linux on any embedded device and server and the Desktop,
> Microsoft has been dominating for 30 Years will be irrelevant by
> tomorrow.

This is so true. We only have to wait. Once OSM will be more and more
known by the public and they see that they can get maps and updates for
the entire world for free and that they can get updated maps
(technically) every single day instead of having to pay € 100 euro
(usually much more for in-car nav) for just the map or a year's worth of
updates then the consumer will demand it.

Really the only thing car manufacturers need to install in a car is an
Android tablet.

What we can do to accelerate that process is to make the map even
better. So basically: carry on.

Maarten