[josm-dev] Request for review of plugins

Marián Kyral mkyral at email.cz
Tue Feb 25 08:11:27 UTC 2014

Hi all,
some time before I've started with plugin development. Initially I only
wanted to change the hardcoded server URL in the Tracer plugin
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/Tracer). But then it
started to growth ;-)

The original Trace plugin traces buildings (and other areas) from
bitmaps from (Czech) cadastral map. Currently we have a new source in
Czech Republic, called RUIAN (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RUIAN)
where all buildings and parcels are already traced. As a bonus, some
additional attributes like building usage, building levels, flats, start
date and associated address are included as well.

After some investigation I decided to extend the Tracer plugin to work
with this new source. I've created a new mode called Tracer - RUIAN
(accessible via Ctrl+T shorcut). The old Tracer is still available
(shortcut: T) and can be used in areas that are not covered by RUIAN
data (digitalization is still in progress and will take next several
years).

Later one, I've noticed that there is a new plugin called Tracer2 from
Dirk Brünig. I liked the ability to update geometry of current building,
so I decided to adopt this function (Thanks Dirk). It caused some
troubles to me - Tracing the same building more times generated
duplicated (not merged) nodes. Tracing in garages block causes
duplicated nodes as well. I've tried to fix it and it is much better
now, but still not perfect and I'm working on it.

I also added some configuration page to allow change server URL and
adjust traced building position (currently there is an discrepancy
between cadastral map and RUIAN in some areas).

The updated source with some screenshots could be found on
https://github.com/mkyral/josm-tracer/tree/ruian

I also made a brand new plugin called pointInfo. It is based on tracer
plugin, but instead of tracing building, it shows an message with
available information from RUIAN: building details, parcel details,
associated addresses and close street.

It is a simple plugin, I tried to make it modular, so it could be easy
extended by new source. Screenshot and details are on github
https://github.com/mkyral/josm-pointInfo

Both plugins were discussed and tested by Czech OSM community (talk-cz@)
and are regularly used by several users. I think that now are both
plugins stable enough to include them in JOSM repository (and fix the
annoying missing version issue).

As I'm not a java programmer, I'm asking for code review and for help
with commiting to JOSM tree.

I've some experience with open source, I've made two plugins for Gimp
(lisp and python) and I'm one of developer yawp (yet another weather
plasmoid) for KDE.

Thanks a lot,
Marián