[josm-dev] Using Java

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Jun 11 15:54:23 UTC 2014

There is a difference between running Java programs, such as JOSM, on
your computer, and running Java applets in your browser. Most of the
security concerns I hear about deal with browser applets. You can
disable Java plugins in your browser, thus preventing it from running
any Java applets, or change their security settings to ask for
permission to run each time. This will not impact your ability to run
JOSM on your desktop.

I don't think JOSM will run on Java 8, but I haven't tried it.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Bob Hawkins <bobhawkins at waitrose.com> wrote:
> I have been cautioned twice in security forums about the use of Java on my Windows 8 PC (it seems it might be responsible for the daily creation of a particular and large temporary file).  The latest reply advises me to either remove it completely or have it in a separate browser for use only with those applications that require it.  The version on my PC is Java 7 update 55.  I was informed the latest versions are Java 7 update 60 or Java 8 update 5 (Can I use Java 8?).  I wonder what other users of JOSM have to say on the matter.
>
> ---

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
http://openstreetmap.us/