[josm-dev] Fwd: GSoC: OpenGL view for JOSM

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:42:12 UTC 2015

On 23.03.2015 17:32, Michael Zangl wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the comment.
>
> The main problem I have with the Icons is the packing. I don't want to
> use a single texture for every icon, since a texture switch is
> expensive.

Can't be that bad. Better start with something simple but working and
leave complicated optimizations for later.

> Using GLG2D is a good idea. I might just add that for all unsupported
> layers. Although I cannot add it for drawing unsupported things on the
> OSM layer, it should make most plugins compatible with OpenGL.

I wouldn't rely on it too much yet (without testing). There can be all
kinds of complications with this library.

> Drawing Swing components on top of JOGL and the other way around is an option I
> don't like, since it went wrong the last time I tried it (mouse events
> not beeing captured correctly, ...).

Could you report the problem to JOGL, so they can fix it in the meantime
(or offer a workaround)?

> But it might also just need some
> more tweaking.

Or that. :)