[josm-dev] josm-dev Digest, Vol 95, Issue 3

Ray Sanders cosmicrae at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:01:33 UTC 2015

On Aug 4, 2015, at 8:00 AM, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Aug 2015, Ray Sanders wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am new to this list. Currently doing work with historical survey documents (USA, 1820-1860) which are all measured in chains, which are in fact Gunter's Chain (1 chain = 66 feet, 80 chains = 1 statute mile). Trying to add nodes, where the original document is measured in chains, and the display is in feet or miles, is a pain. I am trying to add these nodes to openhistoricalmaps, using JOSM. So, here it begins.
>>
>> I have past experience in coding Java, so I took a look at the source tree. After downloading the zip file, unpacking, and searching around thru the code, I identified two modules that were concerned with the current 4 measurement schemes. They are SystemOfMeasurement and ParallelWayAction. The changes to add Chain (as a 5th measurement scheme) appear to be minor, so I made those changes (on my local copy).
>>
>> Although these have not been committed, is this a change that would be appropriate for the main source tree ?
>>
>> I have no experience with SVN. If this is a desirable change, can I email these two source files to someone, who can look them over, decide if the changes are appropriate, and add them to the tree ?
>
> I don't think that we want to add historical measurement units to JOSM.
> They are of no use today and there are simply too many of these.
>
> And expert-config based settings to add user-defined units would be
> another case - E.g. an config name, where any user can add names and
> definitions for exotic formats.
>
> It's a bit more complex to design it in a way to properly define such
> non-decimal units :-)
>
> Ciao
> --
> http://www.dstoecker.eu/ (PGP key available)

It was my impression (subject to correction) that the measurements were being stored internally in meters (if stored at all). My need is to see the measurement in something other than 4 currently displayed, at the time the nodes/ways are being created.

Could this be achieved in a plugin ? I'm not clear on what capabilities plugins are able to achieve.