[josm-dev] Apache mpoved to git, broken SVN external

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Mon Aug 31 08:34:21 UTC 2015

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015, Paul Wölfel wrote:

> What about also moving JOSM to a Git repository?

Why?

You have a Git mirror of JOSM and plugins can already be developed in Git.
But the majority is in the SVN repository.

> Many plugins already are on github and most of the open source projects are
> also moving from svn to git.

Which I doubt. Some of the bigger ones do so which is fine, as especially
these profit from git. Don't count the many dead or dying forks at GitHub,
but count the real live projects instead and it is much less. I haven't
seen any statistics taking that "easy fork" factor into account, but even
with that git-bias SVN and GIT still are about even, which tells me, that
SVN in reality is still used more often.

JOSM wouldn't profit much from git. And please don't mix Git and GitHub.
If we ever move to git as versioning system it will be hosted on JOSM
server and not on an external service like GitHub and thus most of the
GitHub benefits will not apply.

Ciao