[josm-dev] Discussion about Git

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Aug 31 16:17:33 UTC 2015

On 31/08/15 16:43, Bodo Meissner wrote:

> I started with RCS, have used several version control tools, and am
> still using CVS, SVN, Git. I prefer Git (or Mercurial). When I have to
> use SVN, I try to use it with git-svn if possible.
>
>> But Git is not a followup to SVN but another philosophy. While it has
>> many advantages it has also a set of disadvantages. For me SVN and Git
>> are two different tools and selection which one should be used for a
>> certain project depends on a lot of details.
>
> I guess that's an FAQ theme. Suggestions to use Git pop up here from
> time to time.
> I am involved with some other open source project which still uses CVS.
> I also get requests to move to Git. The main reason for not using Git is
> that there are scripts that use CVS commands, and I did not have time
> yet to adapt them to use Git instead of CVS.

Still working with projects that started on CVS long before SVN
appeared, I've been through many of the options. Projects that moved to
SVN from CVS were often unhappy, and then moved on to GIT, and still not
entirely happy since the negatives still outweigh the positives.

Today I simply run Hg/Mercurial with TortoiseHg but talking to CVS, SVN
and GIT as required to keep others happy. Where a project is only a
single set of code with independently managed plugins things are fairly
simple to maintain. Projects that consist of many modules which CVS
handled nicely we now have a mess that neither SVN, GIT or Hg actually
handle tidily because the concept of 'sub-modules' does not get good
support these days. One ends up with a lot of modules that have to be
managed individually where CVS tools would merge them into a well
managed whole. The sort of tools which were ignored when complaining
about the short comings at that time.

Git and Hg are not a perfect solution ... just another half way house to
a perfect version control system.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL