[josm-dev] JCS as optional dependency

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 17 11:02:56 UTC 2015

> We understand the problem but I don't know if keeping the old cache is
> easy
> nor feasible. Wiktor what do you think? Is the old code still there or has
> it been dropped during the switch ?
> Even if it's possible, it might lead to Debian specific bugs...

I'm afraid keeping the old caching as an alternative is not an option,
that's why I didn't raise the issue before. If it is possible, this would
remove the barrier preventing josm updates in Debian though.

> Couldn't we help you to package JCS on Debian instead?

Yes that's possible and very much appreciated. Have a look at the JCS
Request For Package bug where I've recorded my progress.

https://bugs.debian.org/783538

There are too few contributors to the Debian GIS team to allow me to
dedicate sufficient time to packaging JCS and maintaining it in the long
term. All my time is currently consumed preparing transitions for GDAL &
SpatiaLite, reviewing and sponsoring uploads for others, and mentoring a
new contributor. The Debian Java team is likewise understaffed, so I can't
blame them for the lack of help with packaging JCS. Everyone has enough on
their plate with the packages we maintain already to not jump at the
request for a new package they don't need themselves.

Kind Regards,

Bas