[josm-dev] Common presets for OSM editors?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 07:54:25 UTC 2015

> I created a repo to keep track of this here:
> https://github.com/osmlab/editor-presets

Please do foresee the possibility to add longer descriptions / definitions.
The problem I see with current presets is that they offer very short
translations, usually one word, which often/sometimes isn't sufficient to
explain the feature, and mostly isn't sufficient to make an educated choice
between similar tags. One obvious example are churches in iD: there are 2
presets named "Church" and people do not understand they have to apply both
to most churches (one for the function and one for the building).

It would also be nice to have something like a wizard (maybe based on an
ontology?) that helps to find tags. You would answer a series of questions
which would lead to a tag (or a group of tags) being applied. Creating
something like this is a lot of hard work, I admit, but the process of
setting it up would also lead to questions and, as a result of
clarifications, better definitions in the wiki, I guess.

Cheers,
Martin