[josm-dev] Common presets for OSM editors?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Tue Jun 23 12:29:07 UTC 2015

W dniu 23.06.2015 9:54, Martin Koppenhoefer napisał(a):

> Please do foresee the possibility to add longer descriptions /
> definitions. The problem I see with current presets is that they offer
> very short translations, usually one word, which often/sometimes isn't
> sufficient to explain the feature, and mostly isn't sufficient to make
> an educated choice between similar tags. One obvious example are

Thanks for this remark, Martin! I started using "slashed translations"
when something is not clear looking just at the name and it can be
mistaken with another item (like:
"alternative1/aletrnative2/aletrnative3"). It's less elegant, of course,
but more readable for mappers, which result in less tagging errors.
Longer descriptions and even using inline hints (not just the links to
Wiki pages) would be also helpful.

> It would also be nice to have something like a wizard (maybe based on
> an ontology?) that helps to find tags. You would answer a series of
> questions which would lead to a tag (or a group of tags) being
> applied. Creating something like this is a lot of hard work, I admit,
> but the process of setting it up would also lead to questions and, as
> a result of clarifications, better definitions in the wiki, I guess.

I support your proposition - that would be really big win for the whole
OSM, I think!

I try to make some important changes in the way we use tagging schemes
(which I consider to be rather a big Wiki "phone book" today), but I'm
aware that in the community projects it's of no use to push anything if
the rest doesn't accept it, no matter how good or needed I think they
are. So I try to narrow down the scope of my ideas to make them
acceptable. I would like to make our categorization system more flexible
and clear, and your proposition would be great evolutionary step toward
achieving this goal.

I also think this would be a lot of work, but I see it as a much needed
foundation to clarify our tagging system. I guess this would be nice
tool both for experts (most JOSM users) and novices (most iD users),
because we have so much tagging schemes, that probably nobody really
knows them all anymore.

down" [A. Cohen]