[josm-dev] GSoC: OpenGL view for JOSM

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Mar 10 19:13:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Paul Hartmann wrote:

> Well, JOGL is a (relatively) thin wrapper to access the native OpenGL libs on
> all major OSs. This is as cross-plattform as it gets.

It's pure Java? Well, that's really a different situation, I agree. For me
it looked like another bunch of external interface nobody has and want's
to install.

>> >  * Your proposal contains so much, that it is impossible to get more than
>> >     study in the given time (except you are an software development
>> >     magician). NOTE: A solution which does not cover the same display
>> >     quality as we have now (i.e. fully support of existing style
>> >     capabilities) will be unusable to us later.
>
> It is ambitious, but if you stick to some core goals, I think it is possible
> to get something useful done in the given time.

I'd nevertheless think a review of the proposal, looking at the goals and
defining more focused results/targets is required. Probably you can do
that, as your in-detail knowledge of that part of JOSM is better than that
of anybody else.

Would you be mentor?

@Michael:

Still comments regarding development stay the same, so that should be a
plugin, but useful core changes will be accepted when necessary.

We have no defined API for JOSM plugins for several reasons, main reason
is that defining a proper API is much work and also needs a lot of
maintenance work. Instead we use a pragmatic "change when necessary"
approach. This means when changes are necessary to support specific plugin
functions we will integrate them into core (interface functions,
public/protected, ...). We won't integrate lots of code, which is unused
in core (unused classes are stripped in build process anyway).

That breaks plugins from time to time - a reason why we encourage
opensource plugins in SVN, so we can fix them directly when broken. We
also have a SVN->GitHub interface for the people who are unwilling to
use SVN and require git instead.

If you open a ticket describing why you want a certain code change and
what it improves and attach a small patch, then chances are high you can
already use that in next latest build. Bigger refactorings or changes not
so easily understood or not following the established concepts will cause
more discussions.