[josm-dev] GSoC: OpenGL view for JOSM

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 09:29:03 UTC 2015

On 10.03.2015 20:13, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Paul Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Well, JOGL is a (relatively) thin wrapper to access the native OpenGL
>> libs on all major OSs. This is as cross-plattform as it gets.
>
> It's pure Java? Well, that's really a different situation, I agree. For
> me it looked like another bunch of external interface nobody has and
> want's to install.

It uses Java Native Interface, so it comes with a native lib for each
platform and architecture (.so, .dll). You have to copy the lib to a
temporary folder at plugin start and make sure it is in the Java library
path.

This should be possible without user intervention, so from the outside,
it looks like pure Java.

> I'd nevertheless think a review of the proposal, looking at the goals
> and defining more focused results/targets is required. Probably you can
> do that, as your in-detail knowledge of that part of JOSM is better than
> that of anybody else.
>
> Would you be mentor?

I'm planning to mentor one project this year, but haven't decided which
one. We have more students interested in JOSM-related projects than in
the last years. This must be in part because good project ideas have
been proposed, thanks to everyone who contributed!

Paul