[josm-dev] JOSM Version check source (VersionTest macro) to troubleshoot strange version

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Fri Oct 9 19:27:32 UTC 2015

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> Thanks for the quick fixes, the Startup page now reports:
>
> * Active version '8159 Debian' should be updated! The current stable
>   snapshot is 8800 and 8840 is the unstable development version.

Well yes, that will remain a Debian problem. Will you ever get a version
where the Wiki will not ask for an update with our monthly cycle :-)

> This is for http.agent:
>
> 'JOSM/1.5 (8159 Debian en) Linux Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)'

Fine for me. This allows us to separate the Debian build version from
other version (i.e. downloaded jar) run on Debian.

> The Debian package carries a very old patch [0] that strips the addition
> of the SVN substring for local builds to fix Debian Bug #598920 [1]. We
> may need to consider dropping that patch now.
>
> What are your thoughts about that?

No. As you mark it as Debian in the agent it's correct to strip the SVN
text. This patch as far as I remember was designed in cooperation with me.
For SVN we react different in tickets - We tell the user first to update
to recent SVN version assuming the user can build the software himself.
This is not the correct reply for Debian version, so the SVN should not be
there. Simply change the patch to set "Debian" instead of "SVN", as I see
that there is no patch in the GIT yet for this purpose.

But you can drop "08-disable_gettext-merge.patch". That speed issue has
been fixed some time ago.