[josm-dev] JOSM Version check source (VersionTest macro) to troubleshoot strange version

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 9 19:44:18 UTC 2015

On 09-10-15 21:27, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2015, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the quick fixes, the Startup page now reports:
>>
>> * Active version '8159 Debian' should be updated! The current stable
>>   snapshot is 8800 and 8840 is the unstable development version.
>
> Well yes, that will remain a Debian problem. Will you ever get a version
> where the Wiki will not ask for an update with our monthly cycle :-)

We still don't have JCS packaged for Debian, but thanks to Emmanuel
Bourg there is some progress on this front with the upload of the jcache
spec.

I'm currently working on updating the JOSM package to 8800 using the
embedded JCS and newer metadata-extractor version.

>> The Debian package carries a very old patch [0] that strips the addition
>> of the SVN substring for local builds to fix Debian Bug #598920 [1]. We
>> may need to consider dropping that patch now.
>>
>> What are your thoughts about that?
>
> No. As you mark it as Debian in the agent it's correct to strip the SVN
> text. This patch as far as I remember was designed in cooperation with
> me. For SVN we react different in tickets - We tell the user first to
> update to recent SVN version assuming the user can build the software
> himself. This is not the correct reply for Debian version, so the SVN
> should not be there. Simply change the patch to set "Debian" instead of
> "SVN", as I see that there is no patch in the GIT yet for this purpose.

Based on the bug report and your changes to the VersionTest macro, it
seemed the patch may have been unneeded in the first place.

I prefer the User-Agent without SVN substring anyway, so I'll happily
keep it for the Debian package.

The Debian Build-Name change is currently only available in the
00-build.patch on the stretch branch:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/josm.git/tree/debian/patches/00-build.patch?h=stretch#n57

These changes are also in my local master branch that I'll push to the
git repository on Alioth soon after finishing the changes for JOSM 8800.

> But you can drop "08-disable_gettext-merge.patch". That speed issue has
> been fixed some time ago.

That patch has also been disabled some time ago, as part of the changes
for JOSM 8800 these old disabled patches are now removed entirely, not
just disabled in the series file.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--