[josm-dev] DNS timeout/fail on startup Was: IPv6 problems

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sat Jan 2 13:38:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 02:03:57PM +0100, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> I also don't believe that's a JOSM issue, as JOSM does not remember
> any states between connections. Maybe your connection is simply to
> slow and you need to increase the timeouts so it works for your
> system. JOSM uses reasonable timeouts for modern connections of half
> a minute. That should be enough also for a 348kbit/s connection.

I just tried to reproduce:

Just let the very first DNS request for josm.openstreetmap.org
fail/timeout - You get a popup "Network errors occured"
and "Change proxy setting". This is abolute nonesense. I dont
use any proxy - A simple DNS query failed - Thats life. I might
even be offline - that would be perfectly allright.

I could use josm afterwards pressing cancel on the "Change proxy
settings" but i have situation where this does not work and
i cant up-/download data.

Flo
      We need to self-defend - GnuPG/PGP enable your email today!