Changeset IDs and versions as Long?

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 18:06:17 UTC 2016

On 25.07.2016 23:01, Toby Murray wrote:
> I'm at the SOTM-US hack day. Someone heard I've tinkered with JOSM and
> asked some questions. They are trying to work on making an OSM API but
> with peer-to-peer functionality instead of only talking to a single
> API endpoint.
>
> Their plan is to use changeset IDs and object version numbers as kind
> of a commit hash using large numbers. This means both of these would
> need to be Longs instead of Integers for JOSM to work against it.
>
> I don't know how far along their project is or what the end goal
> really is. But what are people's thoughts about this idea as it
> relates to JOSM code? I know object IDs are already Longs. How hard
> would it be to make this change and would these changes be appropriate
> to include in JOSM core or would they need to maintain their own fork
> to do this?

Sounds like a good idea to convert the changeset id to type 'long' since
we'll reach the maximum int barrier eventually. In addition it is nice
to be consistent with the data type of object ids.

It shouldn't be a problem to get a patch for this accepted into JOSM
core (barring unforeseen issues).

Regards, Paul