JOSM Translations

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Sun Feb 19 20:24:33 UTC 2017

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017, Holger Mappt wrote:

> It would be interesting to know how important translations are. Maybe it is
> okay for most of the users to use the English version.

The last days:

8079 (31.7%) en
5489 (21.5%) de
2615 (10.3%) ru
2157 ( 8.5%) fr
1541 ( 6.0%) en_GB
1018 ( 4.0%) es
  849 ( 3.3%) it
  709 ( 2.8%) pl
  468 ( 1.8%) ja
  426 ( 1.7%) nl
  311 ( 1.2%) zh_TW
  309 ( 1.2%) pt_BR
  239 ( 0.9%) zh_CN
  223 ( 0.9%) cs
  186 ( 0.7%) en_AU
  175 ( 0.7%) hu
  126 ( 0.5%) sv
  101 ( 0.4%) id
   92 ( 0.4%) uk
   81 ( 0.3%) sk
   57 ( 0.2%) da
   49 ( 0.2%) fi
   48 ( 0.2%) pt
   45 ( 0.2%) ca
   39 ( 0.2%) lt
   31 ( 0.1%) el
   17 ( 0.1%) nb
    5 ( 0.0%) be
    3 ( 0.0%) tr
    3 ( 0.0%) bg
    2 ( 0.0%) et
    2 ( 0.0%) gl
    1 ( 0.0%) vi
    1 ( 0.0%) ast

62% use a non-english version. That number would probably be higher if the
translations in some languages would be better.

> I think one of the issues is the enormous number of strings. We reached 10000
> a few weeks ago. And there is a pretty high update frequency. You need days
> to catch up if no translation was done for a few months.

Yes. That's obvious. That burden can only be reduced when distributed to
more shoulders (althought single people did translate thousands of texts).

Here everybody with more than 3000 translations:
14921 - pitort                 - ca   = 7959 - ca at valencia= 6962
10844 - andygol                - ru   =  290 - uk   =10554
10486 - Viktar Palsciuk        - be   =10486
10451 - mmyfl                  - zh_CN=10451
10195 - Dirk Stöcker           - de   = 5146 (others: many languages as fixes)
10080 - aceman444              - cs   = 5220 - sk   = 4860
  8594 - Minh Nguyễn            - vi   = 8594
  8132 - DiGro                  - nl   = 8132
  7543 - edrux                  - ast  = 7524 - es   =   19
  7512 - Davide Prade           - it   = 7512
  7441 - RPome                  - pt   = 7441
  6726 - fujimoto               - ja   = 6726
  6186 - Casiope
  5972 - Chao-Hsiung Liao       - zh_TW= 5972
  5698 - Jørn                   - da   = 5698
  5694 - Dalibor Jelínek        - cs   = 5693 - sk   =    1
  5656 - Báthory Péter          - hu   = 5656
  5633 - Casiope                - fr   = 5633
  5335 - Felipe L.              - pt_BR= 5335
  4710 - Vlado                  - sk   = 4710
  4562 - Dee-earlsoft           - en_GB= 4562
  3873 - Emilio Gomez Fernandez - es   = 3872 - fr   =    1
  3858 - Sophea Sok             - km   = 3858
  3720 - Aleksey Kabanov        - ru   = 3720
  3584 - Robert Readman         - en_AU= 3266 - en_GB=  318
  3309 - Ettore Atalan          - de   = 3309
  3110 - Rui                    - pt   = 3110
  3097 - Hiroshi Miura          - ja   = 3097
  3035 - Vitor George           - pt_BR= 3035

> Another issue is the quality of the strings. Some source strings are not
> English (but French, Dutch, Polish, etc), have unknown acronyms in it, or

These are bugs and should be fixed.

> it's just not clear what the string is about. That mainly affects plugins and
> the imagery. I sometimes open a ticket if the quality is bad. JOSM core
> tickets are resolved promptly, but plugin authors are lazy or don't respond

Yes. That's an issue. The success of JOSM has some drawbacks and
unmaintained plugins is one of them. The core developers try to manage
them, but we already have lots of core issues. No solution for this ATM.
For things like translating issues tickets should nevertheless be opened.
They are usually easy to fix and thus also easy to handle by the core
team.

> at all. There is no good way to address issues with the imagery strings
> (there is actually no way).

See answers in related ticket #12179.

> One solution could be to separate the JOSM core strings from the plugin and
> imagery strings. Then translators can concentrate on the JOSM core, it would
> reduce the timeout errors, and it becomes doable to actually translate all
> (core) strings.

The other solution would be the long discussed migration to transifex. It
includes also the splitting in 3 string groups.

> Plugins are a different topic. I think there is no way to attract people to
> translate a large number of strings that nobody will ever read. An idea would
> be to rank the untranslated strings by the number of plugin installations (do
> we know this?) to start with the important strings. But Launchpad sorts them
> alphabetically, not by importance.

Oh. We know EVERYTHING :-) Don't ask me why this list has reversed order
to the languages though - probably I implemented them at different
times...

    4 (* 0.1%) NanoLog
   10 (* 0.2%) matsim
   15 (* 0.2%) videomapping
   22 (* 0.3%) sds
   27 (* 0.4%) globalsat
   32 (* 0.5%) czechaddress
   35 (* 0.6%) michigan_left
   35 (* 0.6%) epci-fr
   37 (* 0.6%) plastic_laf
   38 (* 0.6%) native_password_manager
   41 (* 0.6%) wms-turbo-challenge2
   45 (* 0.7%) canvec_helper
   46 (* 0.7%) scoutsigns
   48 (* 0.8%) OSMRecPlugin
   48 (* 0.8%) surveyor
   50 (* 0.8%) touchscreenhelper
   51 (* 0.8%) o5m
   51 (* 0.8%) pointInfo
   51 (* 0.8%) TombPlugin
   54 (* 0.9%) SeaChart
   57 (* 0.9%) indoor_sweepline
   60 (* 0.9%) Tracer
   61 (* 1.0%) rex
   71 (* 1.1%) junctionchecking
   71 (* 1.1%) Tracer-testing
   75 (* 1.2%) ColumbusCSV
   82 (* 1.3%) indoorhelper
   83 (* 1.3%) pt_assistant
   89 (* 1.4%) imagery-xml-bounds
   94 (* 1.5%) gpsblam
   98 (* 1.5%) osm-obj-info
   99 (* 1.6%) conflation
  100 (* 1.6%) CADTools
  103 (* 1.6%) CommandLine
  106 (* 1.7%) colorscheme
  107 (* 1.7%) CustomizePublicTransportStop
  109 (* 1.7%) rasterfilters
  111 (* 1.8%) tagging-preset-tester
  114 (* 1.8%) waypoint_search
  115 (* 1.8%) livegps
  116 (* 1.8%) namemanager
  120 (* 1.9%) ImageWayPoint
  121 (* 1.9%) mbtiles
  122 (* 1.9%) ImproveWay
  130 (* 2.1%) DxfImport
  131 (* 2.1%) SeaMapEditor
  132 (* 2.1%) kendzi3d_Improved_by_Andrei
  134 (* 2.1%) openvisible
  134 (* 2.1%) routes
  138 (* 2.2%) ColorPlugin
  142 (* 2.2%) Create_grid_of_ways