[OSM-legal-talk] Licensing

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Thu Jul 6 15:26:56 BST 2006

On 7/6/06, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net> wrote:

> When you create an account on OSM  the web page has the following text on
> it:
>
> "Fill in the form, we'll send you an email to confirm you're you and
> activate your account.
>
> By creating an account, you agree that all work uploaded to
> openstreetmap.org and all data created by use of any tools on
> openstreetmap.org is to be licensed under this Creative Commons license."

Surely we can't impose a licence on people for the data they create in
any of the tools? I would have thought it would only be at the point
where that data is being shared with OpenStreetMap, and only at that
point the licence should apply. Otherwise it's like Microsoft saying,
for example, that all users of MS Word must licence the data they
create and store on their own machine under the licence of their
choosing...

(just my 2 euro cents)

Dan

--