[OSM-legal-talk] By-SA attribution to... who?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Sun Jun 18 21:35:43 BST 2006

Currently, as I understand it, there's no way to comply with the
Creative Commons license that OSM uses by entities external to OSM:
 * CC-BY copyright is licensed by the original user
   * Which means that hte original user needs to be attributed
 * User information is not available in the API/planet exports
   * Therefore, there is no way to find out which user to attribute

I suppose you could say "Data provided by:" followed by a list of all
the legal entities which have contributed the data to the OSM dataset,
but I don't even know if it's possible to get that list.

Someone suggested "Copyright OpenStreetmap", but that's not the owner of
the copyright, so it's not actually attribution under the license, as I
understnad it.

Someone suggested "Copyright OpenStreetmap users" but I don't know that
that's specific enough under a legal license.

I'm asking specifically because I'm about to run headlong into the same
issue, and wanted to build off the collective mental energy of the OSM
legal minds.

Suggestions?

--
Christopher Schmidt