[OSM-legal-talk] CC-BY-SA for source data, other license for rendered derivatives

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 09:42:43 GMT 2007

On 2/28/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> What I'd say is that it is certainly possible to come up with a
> licence where the _illustration_ needn't be copyleft, but the source
> code would still be copyleft.

I think this idea is worth investigating.  I think what you are saying
is that we need some way of making the rendered version publishable
under some other license but requiring the corresponding source data
of that rendering to be CC-BY-SA.

I can see some interesting issues with this, but it seems to better
describe how most people would like to see the data licensed.  It
would maximize the use of OSM data while still protecting the source.

Immediate questions are:
1) What constitutes a rendered version?  Is an SVG file a rendered
version or just a transformation of the source data?  How would this
be defined in a license?

2) What would be the status of data that is digitised from a rendered
image?  Especially if the quality of the resulting data was a near
match to the original source data.

3) When OSM source data is combined with other data to create a
rendered version,  if the  rendered version is then published, should
there be a requirement to publish the other data under CC-BY-SA, or
can it remain unpublished?

4) What form of license would be appropriate for the rendered
versions?  What restrictions would necessarily be required.

80n