[OSM-legal-talk] attribution

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Jul 5 09:42:52 BST 2007

The creative commons share-alike licence that we use states that users of
OSM data must attribute the Work as defined by us. To quote from the
licence:

"Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the
author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you
or your use of the work).

However I don't believe that we do specify a 'manner'. The licence also
indicates that constraints of the media and space can influence the form of
the attribution but prefers a link to a web site. In my opinion a formal and
precise specification for attribution would help with uptake for the
project.

Can I suggest that we set up a process to get this sorted in the near
future? I suggest we first discuss options on legal-talk and set up a wiki
page to hold the latest version of the guidance and then ask the full list
to get involved and aim to have something agreed by the end of July. I don't
personally feel qualified to create a wiki page myself, and anyway there
might already be one as far as I know.

I think Flickr already uses appropriate approach to the problem. See
http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

Suggested forms:

Map reproduced on web page

Form:

(cc) Openstreetmap some rights reserved

(cc) being the creative commons.

openstreetmap linked to http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html

'some rights reserved' linked to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

We could produce a simple bit of 'cut and paste' html for this.

Should the text ideally be overlaid on the map (bottom right, bottom left or
wherever is appropriate), or directly associated with it in other cases.

Do we want to specify a minimum font size?

Map reproduced on paper

(cc) www.openstreetmap.org <http://www.openstreetmap.org/>  some rights
reserved

Should the text ideally be overlaid on the map (bottom right, bottom left or
wherever is appropriate), or directly associated with it in other cases.

Do we want to specify a minimum font size?

Other cases?

Do we ever want more than that, if so in what situation and how? We could
require the (BY) and (SA) symbols as used by Flickr to be included if
required, or only if space permits.

Regards,

Peter Miller