[OSM-legal-talk] Results from license debate - assing (c) to OSMF

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jul 17 16:58:51 BST 2007

Hi,

> I have no definite answer on the licensing issue, but I think that
> it is unfortunate to link it to money.  Are you suggesting that
> (1) OSM would receive more money if the data was released as PD
> rather than CC-BY-SA and (2) the lack of that money is what's
> stopping OSM from developing?

No I was just saying that you should not discount anyone who doesn't
fight for free data as someone who has no interest in furthering our
goals!

I used "giving money" as an example but if you prefer you could also
think about someone who has mapped half of London for the project and
now wants to make a printed mash-up with non-free data. While of
course there is no moral right to use our data just because you have
contributed, such a person's endeavour could hardly be described by
Rob's words

"If the project is not seeking to contribute to OSM, is not seeking to
pass on to its users the freedom that it believes is such a benefit,
and is not after anything other than cheaper data, it is not a loss to
OSM or to that project's users if that project has to pay its way in
the world."