[OSM-legal-talk] Rules for the foundation to hold data assigned to it under

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 20 23:28:27 BST 2007

Hi,

>> PD data will always be free
>
> It's trivial to convert PD data to restrictively-licensed data.

That doesn't make the original PD data any less free.

> How many people make their own geodata public domain just so they can
> contribute it to the TIGER dataset?

Can one contribute to TIGER? I always thought this was a
government-published thing and contributions were about as welcome as my
own essays for the CIA world fact book.

> How many just take the TIGER dataset, make a few mods, and sell it with a
> restrictive license?

As far as I am aware, many companies are doing just that (creating
something restricted, derived from TIGER, and sell it), while at the
same time TIGER data is a valuable basis for free software (e.g.
roadnav.sf.net).

So what point are you trying to make? Has someone sued roadnav.sf.net
for using TIGER data, or what?

Bye
Frederik