[OSM-legal-talk] Digital Chart of the World

Ed ed1p at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 17 15:54:56 BST 2007

Further to yesterdays note, I have reacquanted myself with the software (its
remained unused since I discovered Terraserver/Google Maps). A 'doc' file in
the first CD makes the following statements plus a lot of technical data
which I believe is extraneous to examining the copyright implications in the
UK or elsewhere.

"The DCW can be used as a stand-alone product, allowing the display of the
data
derived from the ONCs.  It can, as well, interface with other compatible
digital data.  The DCW database may be used as the geographic framework or
basemap for the overlay and display of thematic and topical data for
regional,
continental, and global analysis.

The ONCs represent the primary data source.  The data for Antarctica are
from
JNCs.  The aeronautical data are from the Digital Aeronautical Flight
Information File (DAFIF) issued May 2, 1990 by DMA.  (However, this product
SHALL NOT BE USED FOR NAVIGATION OR ACCURATE POSITIONING.)  The vegetation
data for North America are derived from NASA's Advanced Very High Resolution

Radar (AVHRR) satellite imagery.  Road and railroad data for urban areas
were
compiled from larger-scale sources.

The DCW database is in the public domain and, therefore, can be used by
anyone.
===

This database contains some British Crown copyright data, which is
reproduced
with the permission of the Controller of Her Britannic Majesty's Stationery
Office.  These data, in their DCW form, may be freely reproduced and
adapted."

(The underlines are mine).

If I take these statements at face value, I should be able to do the
following:

A) Make a copy of this data available to OpenStreetMap
B) Freely use and publish the data without HMSO breathing down my neck.
C) Anyone else should have the same freedoms.
D) Anyone can use and adapt the somewhat crude data access/plotting
facilities in the included program (full Turbo C source for which is
provided).

Sorry for not including all this in my first note.

Ed