[OSM-legal-talk] Is the "data share-alike" road navigable?

Fri Mar 9 09:45:42 GMT 2007

Tom Chance wrote:

> Also, how would we know if someone was using our database unless we
> put easter eggs in? It seems fairly toothless to me, it's much
> easier to see that
> someone is using your slippy map tiles or drawing on your bespoke
> walking
> routes map.

This Easter egg thing is a bit overstated.

They do exist, sure - as recorded on our wiki. But you don't need
Easter eggs to prove copyright infringement. Any geodatabase, or map,
of sufficient size will contain so many matters of judgement anyway -
should I include this road? Should I include an apostrophe in this
town name? Did I use the spelling from this street sign or from that
one? Where should I put the label? - that the sheer weight of
coincidence will prove infringement.

(As an example, if someone were to make a map of Charlbury using OSM
data, I can spot three such judgements straight off that would give
its provenance away.)

The reason people insert Easter eggs is that they make the proof
easier: they provide certainty, and lawyers like certainty*. But you
don't _need_ them.

cheers
Richard

* actually, people who pay legal bills like certainty. Lawyers find
uncertainty more lucrative.