[OSM-legal-talk] Share-data licence

Tue Mar 13 14:36:21 GMT 2007

SteveC wrote:

> Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>> The prevailing legal opinion -- at least in the US -- is "Yes". Map
>> databases are sets of facts. Facts are not copyrightable.
>
> Unlike in the EU:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_right

Mmm, IWTWFTICTI [1].

Case law in the European Courts of Justice (BHB vs William Hill, and
Fixtures Marketing) has substantially narrowed the applicability of
database right. I've put some relevant links on the wiki 'Case law'
page, and you can Google for loads more:
http://www.kemplittle.com/SL-DBRight_AfterWH_0105.htm is a good
summary (by which I mean that human beings can _almost_ understand it).

Effectively database right doesn't give protection to "underlying
materials" (the facts which we record through surveying work), just to
the databaseness of it all, and even then only in some circumstances.
It's not even 100% clear that OSM would qualify as a database
(really), and if it did, whether the database right owners would be
OSMF or individual contributors (or both).

It's kind of moot anyway because CC expressly say that their licences
are copyright licences, not database right licences:

"Users of European databases should also be aware of the fact that the
database may be protected by a sui generis (ie. copyright-like)
database right that is not actually a copyright right and thus, not
licensed under the standard Creative Commons licenses (except the
Belgium & Netherlands Creative Commons licenses)."

cheers
Richard

[1] I wouldn't trust Wikipedia further than I could throw it ;)