[OSM-legal-talk] Cuts both ways.

Andrew Rowbottom andrew.rowbottom at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:43:24 GMT 2007

Posting this to legal rather than mess up talk.

Some background:
I have a set of 51 o-o-c OS map scans that cover approximately 80
square miles of Sheffield.
The owner has agreed to let them be used for OSM mapping.
To rectify them I need to geolocate one of the maps.
I've got some old code that can geolocate against a wms or google map/OSM tiles.

Now as I see it:

If I geolocate against Google maps then the resulting data is not
suitable for OSM - fair play, I completely understand this.

If I geolocate against OSM data then according to licence page the
resulting re-projected data must be released under the same licence as
OSM (or similar). I don't think the owner will agree to this (fair
play to him he paid a fair bit for the scanning, ask Richard how much
that costs).

So.. as I see it I won't be able to provide the maps for use by OSM
because they contain data derived from OSM, even though the owner is
happy for them to be used by OSM.

Actually, in practice I'm going to JFDI and intentionally violate the
license for the OSM (and only the OSM). But ... think what it would
look like if OSM (as would be within their right) tried to see me in
court!

By the by, I am supportive of OSM.

Andrew Rowbottom