[OSM-legal-talk] Shuttle Radar Topography Mission

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Nov 1 12:13:24 GMT 2007

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:56:17 +0000
> From: rob at robmyers.org
> Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Shuttle Radar Topography Mission
> To: legal-talk at openstreetmap.org
>
> I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.
>
> Quoting Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>:
>
> > "NASA material is not protected by copyright unless noted. If
> copyrighted,
> > permission should be obtained from the copyright owner prior to use. If
> not
> > copyrighted, NASA material may be reproduced and distributed without
> further
> > permission from NASA.
>
> If the data is public domain and any attribution is just a *request*
> rather than a licence (which might clash with BY-SA) then there should
> be no problem mixing it with BY-SA work.
>
> A quick scan of the project web site doesn't show any licence or
> rights claims.
>
> If in doubt, OSM can try to contact one of the responsible officials
> listed at the bottom of the project page.
>
> > If we are not sure about integrating this height data into OSM does
> anyone
> > have the capacity to generate a separate data table giving the
> following:
> >
> > OSMNodeID, lat from OSM, long from OSM, height from NASA
> >
> > (The lat and long from OSM are used avoid using height data when the
> node
> > has been moved since the association was done.) This could then be used
> by
> > individuals wishing to merge them as a 'collective work' without
> integrating
> > the data itself into OSM.
>
> If merging the data in OSM would break the licence then merging the
> data outside OSM would break the licence as well, so this would not be
> a way around any problems.

I think the data could be used with OSM data downstream as a 'collected
work' and therefore the compatibility of licensing issues is less of an
issue, but it would be good to know if we can 'derive' a SA-BY-SA work from
OSM and the NASA data and from a legal perspective be able to integrate the
data into OSM should we wish to, however I am not about to chase that one up
just now.

Thanks,

Peter