[OSM-legal-talk] Transformed OSM data and CC-BY-SA

Henk Hoff osm at toffehoff.nl
Wed Nov 7 21:28:53 GMT 2007

I'm talking with a local Dutch company specialized in GPS-equipment.
They are interested in using OSM data on mainstream GPS-devices. (Just
in case: no, the company's name is not TomTom ...).

During the meeting we stumbled across an issue on the licensing. Let's
say: a company would use the OSM data, transform it to a proprietary
format that can be used by specifiek GPS-devices. Is that company
allowed to sell that product without having to release it in public
(under the CC-BY-SA license)?

Just to make clear: they are willing to donate data and promote OSM etc
etc. No problems here. We're only talking about the same data, but in a
different format.

Cheers!
Henk Hoff