[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] GSoC applications are in! MENTORS wanted

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 8 12:26:31 BST 2008

Hi,

> And because they derive from Google Maps, more importantly.

I think we should be a bit more careful with such statements. Nowhere
on the geonames page do they say that data is, or should be, derived
from Google Maps.

I understand a certain desire to say "we are cooler than <other
mapping project>" but we should make an attempt to do so without
slander. As you know there are ways and tools to create OSM data that
is derived from Google Earth or Google Maps, and if we start slinging
mud then it's only a question of time before someone uses the
existence of these tools to publicly say "OSM uses Google data".