[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] GSoC applications are in! MENTORS wanted

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:43:51 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > And because they derive from Google Maps, more importantly.
> >

>  I think we should be a bit more careful with such statements. Nowhere on
> the geonames page do they say that data is, or should be, derived from
> Google Maps.

What?  Geonames allows you to move and edit data which is overlaid
onto a Google Map.  Go to http://www.geonames.org/maps/cities.html and
click on a city.

>  I understand a certain desire to say "we are cooler than <other mapping
> project>" but we should make an attempt to do so without slander. As you
> know there are ways and tools to create OSM data that is derived from Google
> Earth or Google Maps,

Like what?  No-one should be entering data into OSM that is derived
from a proprietary source.

and if we start slinging mud then it's only a question

--
Nick Black