[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] GSoC applications are in! MENTORS wanted

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 8 15:23:05 BST 2008

Hi,

> What?  Geonames allows you to move and edit data which is overlaid
> onto a Google Map.  Go to http://www.geonames.org/maps/cities.html and
> click on a city.

You're right, there's a "move" link there which I had overlooked.
Nonetheless, apart from the geo location of the city I get tons of other
info that could not possibly come from Google...

>>  I understand a certain desire to say "we are cooler than <other mapping
>> project>" but we should make an attempt to do so without slander. As you
>> know there are ways and tools to create OSM data that is derived from Google
>> Earth or Google Maps,
>
> Like what?  No-one should be entering data into OSM that is derived
> from a proprietary source.

I know that nobody should, and I won't give you a run-down of ways for
people to do it nonetheless. I'm just saying that if someone was bent on
demonstrating how easy Google data could find its way into OSM, then he
wouldn't have to work very hard.

Bye
Frederik