[OSM-legal-talk] Deconstructing the "loss of data" claim

Gervase Markham gerv at gerv.net
Tue Feb 19 23:03:12 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> True but they had no choice - either work with OSM as it is, or go
> away and find another project.

Right, but such people weighed their options and were willing to work
with OSM. So if OSM changes between two licences with roughly the same
terms, logically they shouldn't be any less happy. (Although I take your
psychological point.)

> Now, given the choice, they might express their preferences by saying
> they'll not make the switch unless [insert stuff they always wanted
> but never got from the license]. These people suddenly have a
> bargaining power and they might use it.

Do you know of any people who have attempted to use such power?

It does seem to me that one thing that should be happening during this
discussion period about the changes is for people to make their opinions
known. If there are people who will withdraw their contributions unless
a PD licence is chosen, then we need to know who they are.

Gerv