[OSM-legal-talk] Deconstructing the "loss of data" claim

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Sat Feb 23 00:08:02 GMT 2008

On 20 Feb 2008, at 00:56, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Jordan said, in a recent response to one of my posts and comparing ODL
> to a PD-type license:
>
> "I personally am neutral on a preference between the two and think
> that it would be wholly inappropriate for me to recommend one or the
> other to OSM. I think that anyone wanting to use one of the
> approaches should pick the one that best suits their needs."
>
> So while he crafted ODL and thinks it would work, he doesn't actually
> recommend anything, saying basically that we should know best what's
> good for us.

After midnight (in the UK at least), but I need to respond to this one.

I said this because, though I am a lawyer, I am not OSM's lawyer.  I
joined this list about six months ago or more -- when I started
drafting and thinking about these licences. I can't and won't
recommend one to this list.  I use your maps, but I haven't
contributed geodata and even if I was a longterm contributor to this
community and felt that I had a right to voice my own opinion on this
issue, it is way too hard to separate out that personal opinion from
a professional opinion, as I'm again, not OSM's lawyer and so won't
be giving OSM advice on what licence to choose.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007