[OSM-legal-talk] The OSM licence: where we are, where we're going

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jan 9 10:10:25 GMT 2008

Hi,

> It's not speculation because I'm actually talking to them.

Yes, but you're talking to them on the basis of our current licensing
situation. You are not, I assume, asking anyone who agrees to give us
data whether they would also do this under some other license ("tick
all that apply"). So the best you have is a gut feeling whether or
not they would perhaps agree with another license or not, but since
nobody is actually asking them, nobody knows.

> Nowhere am I saying that OSM has changed fundamentally.
> We're not dependent on any other entity.

But you do say that the value of OSM would decrease substantially if
other entities withdrew their cooperation, or did I get this wrong?

> But to say the OSM is not a political project is naive.

I thought it was when it started, maybe I got this wrong, I wasn't
around then. Maybe anything you do is political, in a way.