[OSM-legal-talk] The OSM licence: where we are, where we're and are, where we're going

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Jan 9 16:26:41 GMT 2008

For the record, my vote is strongly for the spirit of CC-BY-SA (as long as
it delivers). At STOM7 there was precious little preparation and as a result
I don't think the vote should be taken very seriously. We must remember that
this is a very fast moving legal area, the wikipedia GNU problem mentions
that SOTM may well soon be.

There are clearly uncertainties and complications with the current licence,
however it does allow for the license to be upgraded without going back to
original contributors for permission. As such I feel confident that CC could
come up with a derivative of CC-BY-SA 3.0 that covers our needs and plug the
gaps (and those of other gedata/DB type datasets generally); after all, if
the ODL can do it then why can't CC do it

Anyway, let's continue batting this one around and see where we get to, but
I am focusing on a CC-BY-SA style license that works, not a PD vs CC-BY-SA
debate.

Btw, where should this debate be happening? Personally I suggest the legal
nerdy details are discussed on legal-talk but any discussion about
principles are discussed on 'talk'

.

Regards,

Peter Miller