[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] The OSM licence: where we are, where we're going

Wed Jan 9 16:29:11 GMT 2008

Hi,

Please can we keep this to legal-talk to stop discussion fragmenting? Thanks.

Longbow4u wrote:

> After the
> proposed revision of the GFDL by the Free Software Foundation our maps will
> probably be compatible with Wikipedia. If we would go for another copyleft
> licence this compatibility would not materialise.

Our maps are already available for inclusion in Wikipedia and it's
inconceivable that this would change - see earlier posting to
legal-talk. I think your posting is good evidence of a widespread
truth: there is no way that OSM contributors would ever countenance a
change that would stop Wikipedia using our maps.

If Wikipedia does change to CC-BY-SA, its Collective Work provision
will certainly allow Wikipedia to continue using OSM maps, whether OSM
uses CC-BY-SA, ODCL, public domain or whatever.

cheers
Richard