[OSM-legal-talk] import of dataset for new zealand

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 18 09:50:11 GMT 2008

Robin Paulson wrote:
>Sent: 18 March 2008 9:42 AM
>To: Licensing and other legal discussions.; List for OpenMoko community
>discussion
>Subject: [OSM-legal-talk] import of dataset for new zealand
>
>land information new zealand is a government org that holds data on
>roads and properties for the entirety of new zealand. they have
>recently given permission to use their data sets in osm, with a caveat
>that we include an attribution statement:
>
>"Contains data sourced from Land Information New Zealand. Crown
>Copyright reserved. Land Information New Zealand gives no warranty in
>relation to the data, including its accuracy, reliability and
>suitability and accepts no liability whatsoever in relation to any
>loss, damage or other costs relating to the use of any data, any
>compilations, derivative works or modifications of the data".
>
>this is a huge data set, with a lot of very useful information. it
>will immediately bring road coverage (currently very poor) for the
>entire country up to 100%, and may include property information for
>every land title in the country, which then opens the door for other
>open data sets, such as zenbu.co.nz (business listings)
>
>the key is the attribution
>
>at present there is no method for attributing data in osm, so this is
>a call to all:
>
>a technical solution is sought, to display the corresponding
>information whenever linz-sourced data is being viewed.
>
>suggestions and comments, please

This has come up before and the approach has always been that we cannot
provide attribution on the map rendering, simply because for any given
location the data may be from a multitude of contributors, not just the one
source and that we have no control over the use of map tiles on other sites.
All we can do is ensure the source of the data when imported on the
individual nodes and ways is clearly attributed and that the donating
organisation gets prominent attribution via the blogs and wiki.

We did discuss recently about having a specific attribution page on the wiki
where those that wanted to have their name in lights, plus the major data
contributors, can have due credit and links back to them. A stub just needs
setting up and perhaps in some way linked to:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Potential_Datasources

Cheers

Andy