[OSM-legal-talk] import of dataset for new zealand

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 10:19:11 GMT 2008

On 18/03/2008, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>  > a technical solution is sought, to display the corresponding
>  > information whenever linz-sourced data is being viewed.
>

> And it is ok for them that whatever clever technical attribution
>  scheme you devise is immediately switched off when OSM maps are
>  viewed through something else than osm.org (e.g. informationfreeway,
>  cyclemap, ...) whom you cannot force to use your technical solution?

it doesn't matter. the data is freely available for anyone to download
from the linz.govt.nz site, or purchasable from a number of retailers
in nz. what the person who takes it from osm, or the linz site, does
with it is up to them. we're not responsible for their actions, we
only have to display attribution - we occupy the same position as any
of the other mass distributors of the data, we don't have to police
it's use